Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Lucic's Record-Breaking Title in Quebec


A week after stunning world No.2 Simona Halep to make the fourth round at the US Open, Mirjana Lucic-Baroni achieved another important milestone in her impressive comeback, claiming her first trophy since Bol in 1998. The Croatian former wonder-kid enjoyed a memorable week in Quebec, dismissing high-quality opponents like Timea Babos, Julia Goerges, respectively Venus Williams in the final to win the title.
She wrote WTA history beating Kimiko Date-Krumm's record for the biggest gap between titles (16 years and 4 months compared to 13 years and 1 month).
To make the success even sweeter, Lucic-Baroni also won the doubles final with Czech Lucie Hradecka.
"I'm so happy I can't really find the words right now to explain how happy I am," Lucic-Baroni said. "I played such a great match today against one of the best players in the world, such a champion.
"It's been so long. I'm finally playing the great tennis I always knew I could play, but it had been so long that I kind of lost a little bit of the belief in myself. But now after starting with my new coach Julian Alonso, winning matches and really getting that belief back, I'm just so ready to keep going."
The result proves that her Flushing Meadows run was no fluke, the Croatian emphasizing her intent to get her career back on track following a lengthy hiatus.


Mirjana Lucic-Baroni had the magic going for her in Quebec. The Croatian beat Venus Williams to claim the singles crown, before teaming up with Czech Lucie Hradecka to win the doubles title.

photos: Pascal Ratthe

No comments:

Post a Comment