Friday, July 20, 2012

Nadal Gives Up Olympic Dream

In a shocking statement, Rafael Nadal, the defending champion, has announced yesterday that he is forced to pull out of the upcoming London Olympics, due to tendinitis on his knee. The Spaniard whose last match was a second round Wimbledon defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol, has been troubled by the injury since winning a record seventh Roland Garros title.
"I am not in the right physical condition to compete at the London Olympics and for this reason I will not travel as arranged with the Spanish delegation," declared a light-hearted Nadal.
"I have to think about my team-mates, I cannot be an egotist and think about myself here. I have to think about Spanish sport, and that one of my team-mates who is better prepared than me can take my place and compete to the best of his ability. I've waited until the final moment of my preparation and my training, but I cannot do it," he added.
"Today is one of the saddest days in my career. Carrying the flag for Spain at the opening ceremony was set to be one of the biggest honours, one of the most special moments for me. For this reason I hope you can understand how difficult it has been for me to take this decision."
As sad as this news is for tennis, it only increases Federer's chances of winning the only elusive title his resume is lacking, the Olympic title.


Nadal won the gold medal in Beijing defeating Chilean Fernando Gonzales in the final. Novak Djokovic won the bronze.

photos (top-down)Reuters, GETTY IMAGES (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment