Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spechless Maria Meets Her Idol

In addition to regaining the number 1 spot and completing a career Grand Slam, there was only one thing Maria Sharapova could have wished for after claiming the 2012 French Open title. However, the French organizers made sure the Russian champion was in for an unforgettable day and they brought in a very special guest for the awards ceremony, namely Maria's tennis idol, ex-Yugoslav, Monica Seles. 
The two grand ladies of women's tennis have so much in common that having Monica award the Suzanne Lenglen cup to Maria seemed like the most inspired of choices.
After Martina Hingis handed Azarenka her first Slam in Australia earlier this season, it really was nice to have Monica celebrate such an important milestone in Sharapova's career. The Russian was delighted to share the moment with her idol and declared herself speechless by her performance: "I'm really speechless. It's been such a journey for me to get to this stage," she said during her victory speech on Philippe Chatrier Court. "It took me many years to get to this stage, eight years ago was my breakthrough. I'm so happy to share this moment with you all. I cannot wait to be back. To be here and win this, even if it was my only grand slam, it would be just as special as if it was my fourth."

photo: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment